Welcome to our Online Collections!
Tips for Searching
GENERAL SEARCH METHODS
- The Norwegian language has 3 more letters in it than the English alphabet. To form the Norwegian letter: press & hold the Alt key (PC) and the opt or opt & shift keys simultaneously (MAC), then enter one of the codes below. When you release the keys, the character will appear:
For PC: Alt 0216 = Ø Alt 0248 = ø
Alt 0198 = Æ Alt 0230 = æ
Alt 0197 = Å Alt 0229 = å
For MAC: opt shift o = Ø opt o = ø
opt shift ’ = Æ opt ’ = æ
opt shift 2 = Å opt 2 = å
- Norwegian alphabet characters should be used in the Keyword, Author and Description of Content fields. You may have to try a search without the Norwegian character if you don’t find what you are looking for with the Norwegian character.
- Searches are not case sensitive.
- The word OR is the default connector between words (for example: a search for gerhard naeseth will return every record with either the word gerhard OR naeseth in it.
- If you want to find only records for our founder, Gerhard Naeseth, you must bridge the two words with the word AND (Gerhard and Naeseth).
Please note: the symbol + does not work for this purpose.
- To search for a specific phrase, be sure to put the phrase within quotation marks (“Norway to America”).
- The asterisk (*) can be used as a wildcard. For example, a search for histor* would come up with records containing history, histories, historical, etc.
The Keyword Search button allows you to perform a general search across multiple fields for all records in the online catalog; including titles, authors, and subjects. For example, if you are interested in any items we may have for olberg, just type olberg in the field, and all the records which include the word olberg ANYWHERE in the record will be listed.
The Advanced Search button can help you be more specific with your search. You can search for a word or phrase within a particular search category or use multiple categories to further narrow down your search. For example, if you want to know if we have an American Lutheran Church (ALC) microfilm from Koshkonong, you can type ALC in the Title field and then type Koshkonong in the Description of Content field.